Monday, February 25, 2008

The Servant

Saturday I came down with some sort of bug, because my body began to "cleanse" itself. After I got the kids to bed, and S went back to the office to catch-up, I had a lasagna(e?) to make. You see, I'd agreed to feed the missionaries and I wanted something that could be popped into the oven. (Plus, S loves my lasagna. I think I make it once, maybe twice a year, because it's such a labor of love--but it's seriously the best lasagna EVER--recipe available upon request...anyhow) I felt quite ill, but had to get through. I managed to, and the next day was quite busy. I was quite useless as I was still recovering, and S really stepped up and kept us all going.

At the end of it all, I was putting the kids to bed and snuggling with them, when C requested that daddy come and finish snuggling. I tried to explain that because mommy wasn't feeling well, daddy had done ALOT that day--he had gotten the kids ready for church, fed them, took them by himself to church, taught the primary lesson, fed the kids lunch, put them down for naps, cleaned the kitchen, made sure dinner got in the oven, entertained the missionaries and cleaned up the kitchen afterwards. He was exhausted, and taking a break now.

Sweet A said with real concern in her voice, "I feel bad he's been the servant today."

Hmm. "Who do you think usually does all that stuff?"

"You."

"Do you think I'm like a servant?"

"No, you're the mommy."

And there you have it folks. Out of the mouth of babes. (I did get a good chuckle and then wished I'd had better sense to stay in bed EVEN LONGER!)

I wish my fellow mommies a lovely day!

5 comments:

Shelby said...

That is too cute. I love to see good daddies helping out when they can. They are the best (b/c ellie and weston have one, too)! Glad you were able to have the help when you were worn down. Hope you are feeling better. Good job, S! And, don't forget Jen, that Mommies are true 24-7 servants. I feel it now as my body is totally committed to this little baby to feed, etc!!

Windy said...

At least you're a servant - not a slave. The word servant connotes some sort of pay or reward, whereas the word slave means being forced to do things without pay. Granted, our pay as mothers is not monetary, but I've been assured that somewhere down the line there is a reward. I've had one of those weekends and Mondays that make me wonder if I really am just a slave!
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Holly said...

I feel your pain. I get that alot too. Hence, my favorite quote that I repeat over and over again when I feel like I am being taken for granted--"blessings in heaven, blessings in heaven." With each passing year I realize what an amazing sacrifice my mom made to be a good mom. Perspective is an amazing thing!

Allison said...

Shad did many of the same things for me a couple of weeks ago. I hope you are feeling better, and you find time to do non-servant things in your day today.

r & k said...

hilarious! get feeling better!!k-thanks-bye