Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Talk that Almost Wasn't

Yes, we were asked to speak before we were given callings in our new ward. (But we've got those now too....) I was a basket-case last night trying to organize my chaotic thoughts into something resembling coherancy and purpose. This morning I fine tuned and last-minute adjusted. We arrived at church (in two cars because the guys were coming home after the first meeting due to illness. Last time we spoke together I was totally ill and S gave my talk for me--in addition to his. He spoke the entire meeting! That's definetly love. I offered to return the favor, but he declined. Anyway.)--I'm halfway inside when I realize I didn't grab my talk. I send S in with the kids and I hurry home to get the talk.

Thankfully we only live about 8 min. away. I get home, grab the papers from the counter where I had been reviewing my lesson for primary, and go back to the church. I grab the papers, only to realize that it's not my talk. It's a talk by Pres. Faust about "The Refiners Fire."

Is there a message here for me?

Once again I return home to get my talk. This time I make sure it's mine before I return to the church. I arrive just as the sacrament hymn is being finished.

(I really wanted to stay home and not go back, but could you imagine the trouble I'd have been in? If I lived any farther away I'd have been giving a talk from memory...or Elder Faust's.)

Talk about a crazy morning!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I think you should have just gotten up there and ad-libbed. I have no doubt it would have been fabulous, even without the script in hand! I am glad you made it there on time!

kristib said...

I spoke yesterday...for the second time since moving here (that's three months, in case you were counting!) This time I spoke in Spanish. Oh, the joy. And I still don't have a calling! Wait a minute, maybe that is my calling...speaking in Sacrament meeting all the time.

Anonymous said...

what is it with moving and getting sick? is that some crazy corequisite or something?

i'm glad it all worked out for you and am certain you were able to reclaim your cool before stepping up to the pulpit and crying repentence to the masses.

i would love to hear you speak in church someday.