Holiday stress is a legitimate concern. We tend to pack a gallon of activity into a quart jar. For those of us who haven't realized it yet, it doesn't fit--never has and never will. Inevitibly something spills out, lost in the hustle and bustle of creating memories, keeping traditions and loving our neighbors. Then we feel guilt about what is lost. Yeah...because things didn't turn out the way we wanted--perfect. (Once again, not going to happen anytime soon....;)
I tend to, usually in creative situations, live by the motto, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." Yes, friends, this is a step up from, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well." This gets me into trouble. (Sometimes.) My innocent enough plans snowball and pretty soon I'm barreling around, wondering "who's driving this flying circus"?
Usually I curtail my plans when they are just that-plans. Before they turn into action and actual deeds. Those two are harder to rein in.
Case in Point: Christmas Goodies.
Every year, I have great plans of what delicious treats I will shower upon my friends and neighbors. Unfortunately, these plans rarely see fruition, and I've moved about enough that none of you are much the wiser.
Not this year.
The problem now, though, is I've spent my energy creating the goodies and I'm running out of steam to deliver them. What, you ask, are the culinary delicacies I have concocted? Well, I started with Holly Cornflake Wreaths (a childhood favorite), then spicy Gingerbread Snowflakes (disaster getting kids to help cut out, so I decorated them all--I'll reverse that next year), Grandma Rose's Five Minute Fudge (a taste of heaven--pure chocolate bliss), Biscotti drizzeled in white and dark chocolate, and carmel dipped pretzel rods, smothered in assorted toppings (again, not so great with little helpers). I haven't gotten around to the marshmallow log, peanut brittle, or double chocolate mint biscotti. (I think I made double batches of everything. For those of you who know me...this isn't a suprise.)
I've doubled the time I ment to spend, and I've got other things to get done. If they don't go out tonight, y'all are invited over for a dessert party--just bring a plate to take a load home with you!!
Oh, wonder what got dropped in the flour and sugar frenzy in the kitchen? The Christmas cards and family letter. Look for them around Valentines Day. Serious.
Next year will be simpler, I promise. (But don't hold your breath!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am totally laughing at your baking/shopping adventures, only because I have been there/done that.
I find Sunday deliveries work best. Especially about the time the kids are getting cranky and mommy is checking the clock until bed time a little TOO often. :)
Post a Comment