We met with a contractor friend last night at the house. We really have no idea how to do home remodeling (aside from watching the DIY network every spare minute during our free preview month!) and wanted a professional opinion before embarking on the next steps. I'm so excited about the things we discussed. I'd tell you all what they are, but you'd probably get bored. I think they're only exciting to us homeowners.
We have some more demolition ahead of us, and then lots of clean-up and prep work and some more huge decisions. I think my budget is already shot for the amount of things I want to do, so I have to really look at my list and figure out what's a need and what's a want. (I think they're all needs!) We also have to figure out what we can do ourselves (to save money) and which to contract out (to save sanity, time, and energy.) Major compromises will have to be made, and much creativity used to stretch the funds. Some things I'm getting hung up on are: cabinets (paint (white-ish)or stain (cherry-ish)?), picking laminate flooring (cool and still in budget), waiting for the appliances to go on sale (stainless vs. white?) and actually getting over to the house to do the work. It's not exactly kid friendly at the moment. (tacks, nails, dust, dirt everywhere!) Hopefully this weekend will see some progress and a few more trips to the dump.
Our goal is to be ready to move in August.
(Ha!)
Am I an optimist, or a realist? Hmm...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can be done!! I am an optimist too! We did all of our renos in 6 weeks with the exception of the trim. We worked on that in the evenings after the kids were sleeping! We hired out our cabinets to be refinished but it was worth the $$ we paid. Staining anything is a major PAIN in my opinion! But I am sure yours will be fabulous whatever you decide. Good Luck!
I meant it can be done!!
Post a Comment