Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lizards

Sir C came downstairs, excitement filling his voice as he exclaimed, "MOM, MOM, I DID IT!! I CAUGHT A LIZARD--AND IT WASN'T EVEN HARD!!

(Now, he's been after a lizard for some time now, and has been slightly discouraged in not catching one sooner. I've told him he has to keep trying....this is the result...)

I turn around to see him dangling a little (about 4 inch) grey lizard by the tail.

me: (very supportive, and concerned about the waving critter) Yeah! Way to go! Good Job! Now let's find a box to put him in... (I begin searching for a box)

Sir C: MOM! HIS TAIL FELL OFF---AND IT'S STILL MOVING!!!

I looked down, and sure enough, there was a little grey lizard tail twitching on the carpet, and a little boy squatted down, staring with fascination and some delight.

Ah, the joy of childhood and being a little boy.

(the lizard escaped under the stairs...C wouldn't go after it because of the spiderweb, and I have no intention of pursuing it. The thing is on it's own!)

updated: Three days later, daddy found that the large stain on his shirt hanging in the closet was, in fact, a lizard. He captured it and Sir C positively identified it as his lizard. The release back to the wilds cannot be considered completely successful, as the kids smashed the rest of it's tail. It did manage to escape, without it's tail. Small price to pay for freedom, I suppose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an idea. Next time he grabs one (and it doesn't leave it's tail behind) tie a piece of string to a safety pin then carefully tie the other end of string to the lizard's neck/body. Attach the pin and lizard to his shirt and watch it crawl all over him. I can't tell you how that used to gross my mom out!

Katrina/Steve said...

steve and i got a giggle out of that. your little man sure is adventurous.

Jessie said...

The joy of boys!! We don't have many lizards around here, but I am dreading the day Rawley comes home with a snake!