Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday Movie Part VI

okay. Another favorite. I love to watch this when I need to do serious ironing or sewing. I like every version I've seen so far, and the book. There are more good scenes than lines...so I'll just throw out a few...

That is his design, then, in settling here? To marry one of our daughters?
Design? No! But he may not be able to help falling in love with one of them....

Oh, you don't know what my poor nerves suffer!
On the contrary my dear, they've been my old friends these twenty years at least.

Not handsome enough to tempt me.

I'm in no humor to give consequence to young ladies who have been slighted by other men.

I'd as soon call her mother a wit.


Okay. I'll stop there. If you've got a favorite scene or line, share it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how i love this one!!! i've read the book a MILLION times and still fall in love when my heroine does. my quote would be the mother's shrieks. what a nit!

::sigh:: what a classic!

kristib said...

Make haste! Make haste! That's fun to say whether you're quoting or not.

My favorite line is really just a look, but it's sooo romantic. Imagine the music room with Georgianna on the piano, our heroine turning the pages, and her smitten man gazing across the room at her. Love it!!

Holly said...

Who can not help but love this one, although the book is so much better.
My favorite scene is actually when the AUNT comes to talk with her. For some reason I find this hilarious--and I envy the heroine for how amazing she is at standing up to this woman, when even she doesn't know what the hero is thinking.

Maybe I need to go watch it again right now while I make YW invitations. . .

Jessie said...

Wow I must not watch that many movies. I have no idea what this one is. Oh yeah can you believe that wasn't wallpaper. The previous owner thought that sponge painting with metallic paint was a good idea. Not so much.

Allison said...

"Well what do we live for but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn", I think Mr. Bennett delivers the best lines.

I love this book the most, but I love the movie Sense and Sensibility the best of all the movies adapted from her novels.