
So. I saw the idea that Melissa got from Baking Bits and had to try it. Aren't they cute? I don't do alot for Halloween (not one of my favorite holidays) but this was too irresistable to pass up. I think my slightly twisted humor and love of anatomy kicked in.
I tried Martha Stewart's gingerbread recipe. The dough was really stiff, but perfect for little helpers to roll and cut out shapes from. (I've tried others that were too soft and difficult to work with.) Although it was a bit spicy for Alice, Charley didn't mind. I loved it. I also made Martha's Royal Icing for the frosting. Zippy lemony deliciousness. Hope you get some inspiration! Let me know if you try this!

The kids had a blast helping. Charley would cut out shapes right from the center of the dough. We worked on starting at the edges and filling in all the spaces. Alice started rolling and cutting all on her own. Charley then commenced to disintegrate the scraps with the remaining flour in a measuring cup. He just liked feeling squishy stuff between his fingers. Sometimes it's just fun to make a mess....he was really good about using only one hand, the one without the cast. (could you imaging gingerbread dough stuck on the plaster for two weeks?!? Ew!)
(animal shapes work best...something with a real skeleton....fish might be good too....I had to stop myself from running out and getting new cookie cutters. I had to use the moose, lamb (dog?), bat and gingerbread man that I already had on hand. Convincing Charley that Christmas trees wouldn't make good skeletons took awhile....)
2 comments:
That's awesome, I love it. Check out my bats and cobwebs recipe, very easy to make.
I don't know which is cuter, the picture of the cookies or the picture of Alice. She is so GROWN UP! have her sing shake the apple tree once for me, and then give her an extra cookie!
Post a Comment