Thursday, April 23, 2009

House Musings

I've been distracted as of late, dreaming of color schemes and materials for my house. I considered waiting until it's all over to suprise y'all with the outcome, but let's be real....it's sketchy at best if that will happen. (the picture and posting, I mean)

So, here are the ideas I've gathered so far...Let me know what you think...

colors:
I want the entire house to be one main color (squire hill buff-1068), with ultra-white trim. Then I can add accent colors to rooms as I feel like. I have the dining room color (upper left corner, cranberry bog-ms002-on two walls) and the living room color (benjamin moore-classic caramel-1118). I tend to be attracted to greens, reds, browns, creams--did I mention that the outside of the house is blue-almost periwinkle? I think the main bathroom will be green-ish. The boys room will have more blues in it. Sweet A's room will be pink-ish and the master I see with chocolate brown and blue-grey. We'll see.

The countertops in the kitchen will probably be this. And the plan for the cabinets is to paint them white. Or off-white. Perhaps colorwash them and layer white/ivory. They are very un-charming 70s dark brown with no hardware and flat fronts. The budget doesn't allow for re-facing or replacing, so it's painting for them. After all is put back, I want to make a glass/ceramic tile backsplash. Probably all glass tiles behind the stove, and then (budget allowing) either a ceramic with glass accent backsplash behind the counters, or all glass tile mosaic (in browns/golds like this).

We're planning on putting in laminate in the kitchen/dining/hallways/family room since that's a pretty continuous space right in the center of the house. The family room at one end and the bedrooms at the other will get carpet. The bathrooms will just get fresh paint, and either ceramic or vinyl floors. Depends on budget when we get there. Haven't made it to carpet or bathrooms at the moment. I'm hung up on the laminate. I like this. (quintessa collection, walnut pattern). I like wide planks, non-shiny finish, and darker wood.

Those are the exciting parts. The boring parts are unscrewing cabinet doors (Sweet A removed nearl 100 screws from the backs of our cabinets--we pulled 33 out of the kitchen, and she and Sir C nearly took all of them out with the drill and screwdriver bit!!) removing plug and light switches, removing wood paneling, priming, tearing out carpet (we found the pooches favorite spot(s)...eww stinky!), discovering brown/green/orange/gold vinyl (I have to get a picture of it!), removing the vinyl, removing baseboards, tack-strips, doors.... you get the idea. We're still in the middle of all that. Then we get to clean it and prep it for paint. Then paint....and paint...and paint.

I haven't even begun to talk about the yard...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quit promising pics of our house.

I think we'll be working on until pigs sprout feathers...

Jessie said...

Reno's are always fun! Sounds like you have some great ideas planned! Can't wait to see some pictures of the progress. We took before pictures as well which were great to look back on to see how much of a change happened.