Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What's in a name?

...a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

I tend to overthink about some things. Naming babies is one of them. My darling husband thinks I'm crazy sometimes, which I blame on the current instability of my hormones.

I have two idea routes for baby names. The first is alphabetical. I have an A, skipped B, have a C, so if I skip D, I need an "E" name. The second is literary. I have two names from the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyers, so I should just look for the next one from there....

One or two syllable names tend to be better with our last name...and names that end in "n" tend to be awkward. Also, I have sort of old-fashioned names so far, so something trendy won't really fit with the family.

Names I can't/won't use: (some of these we really like, I just don't like with our last name, for various reasons that I could explain if you really wanted.....but they're overthought and boring and/or silly according to some people who shall remain nameless.)

Cooper
Christian
Christopher
Dave/David
Harrison
Emmett
Hudson
Tanner
Treydon

Anybody have any suggestions? (Oh, and Scott may be the middle name.)

7 comments:

Allison said...

One name Shad and I have always liked is Eli, I also like Elijah, but Eli more that would fit in with your alphabet idea, and the old thing. I don't know if I'll use it because we have Ella, too close. I am sorry to see Cooper made the not gonna happen list. Haven't read the Twilight books yet, so can't help there, sorry.

traci said...

I love Harrison (my dad's name is Harry and I thought it would be a nice close second without having to name the baby Harry). Hudson is great too. Here are a few we didn't get to use that I still love - Grayson, Tate, Trenton, and that's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

Oh, well I am sad to see that Cooper won't be the name you are using. And one of your friends suggested Eli which I absolutely love for my little boy. Those 2 names have my vote but just for laughs here are a couple other ones I really like.
Joseph, Colin, Cole, and Easton. I will keep brainstorming!

Anonymous said...

we're back

Jen said...

First of all Jen, congrats on #3.

I love these boy names!

Oliver(old fashioned to fit the others)

Carter
Mason
of course Owen(my little Owen)
Jack

Just a few. Hopefully, that helps. Good luck with everything Jen. I look at your blog I am just bad at commenting on anyones anymore. The link list has grown and I keep getting yelled at by my hubby to get off of the blog. Congrats!

kristib said...

The obvious, to get the E and stick with Twilight theme, is Edward. Can you live with an Eddie?

Heather said...

Jen,
Congrats! I'm so behind on catching up with everybody--so I'm sad I just found out. Can't wait to hear what you pick.