When we rolled into town (Clinton, UT), we dropped the second car off at the mechanics. A different one. They were open. Most are on Friday. (Scott and Russ (my brother-in-law) picked up the cutlass from the other mechanic. I ran on the lush green lawn with all the kids and had a blast. There aren't many green lush lawns in Abq....just lots of rocks.)
While in New Mexico we learned that the cutlass threw a rod. Serious. No smoke, no smell, no leaking oil, no fireball engulfing the car. Just that clicking noise. And it still ran. But it wasn’t worth the price of a new engine. It became scrap. We were reduced to one vehicle—the Buick in the shop that we had no idea what was wrong. We prepared for the worst—with two down and gone we needed a vehicle and we needed one yesterday because we were still moving and had 800+ miles left to go. Four people don't fit in the cab of a Penske.
Do you know how fun it is to go car shopping when you have no vehicle? You must purchase whatever is available, you’re trying not to look desperate so you borrow a car (and pretend that the shiny Altima is yours and that you are casually looking for a "second" car--no it's not a trade in!) rather than be dropped off at a dealership….and you don’t mention that you’re unemployed and between states? I think we smell differently and only salespeople can pick up on it.
Side Note: On our move to Kentucky, we bought the '98 cutlass the day we left Logan (Side Side Note: this would be our second cutlass, as my still being used college car was an '82 cutlass--who owns two cutlass's (sp?) at the same time?*?))
Oh, yeah, and did I mention that Scott (and his dad, Kip) were running a ½ marathon on Saturday morning in Logan, UT? 13.1 miles. We did not drive up with them to the start, but rather planned on cheering them across the finish line two hours later. "Go Dad!" We didn’t make it to see them finish one hour and 55 minutes later. 5 minutes late. They lied, er, underestimated their time…but I’m not bitter in any way….

anyhoo, back to the cars. We didn’t have much time. Saturday afternoon. Sunday was with my family, Monday was Alice’s birthday and our departure date for Oregon. Oh, wait. Monday was the day we would find out if our car could be fixed. Departure date moved to Tuesday. Monday was now car shopping day. We looked at some vans. (I’ve been in denial that the next step from a sedan is a mini-van. When family visits, we have to take two cars, and we can’t carpool for anything…I’m gonna have to take the plunge.) We test-drove a caravan. It was nice. I especially liked the push-button doors and the collapsable seats. I love options. Maybe I could do this...we decided to drive more on Monday.
So, Sunday I learn that my brother is selling his suburban. Hmm…. (the rest of Sunday was great—good to see family and friends and visit and eat delicious food! But again, not a main part of this story, lovely though….) On Monday we test drive it, and then some more vans. The dealerships told us their inventory was low and we should come back on Labor Day, and used vans were pretty much the same but if we broke down between Spanish Fork and Brigham City there was free towing (not beneficial at all if you live out of state) and roadside assistance while we owned the vehicle, and nothing in “geriatric tan". Really the options weren't too promising in our price-range.
And then we got good news** The Buick blew a head gasket and the engine seized, nasty but fixable. Work will be done that day. Yippee. Now we don’t have to have a car. We can make it on one until we find time to shop for something else.
But, now I want one.
And I want the suburban.
I'm insane. I only have two kids and nothing screams out "make me the scoutmaster" like rollinig into town with a suburban. Plus, they're huge! I wasn't even ready for a van, but I suppose if you're gonna upgrade, go big.
It just feels right, it feels good. Scott and I sit down with Justin and Celeste that night and make a deal. (They got a new suburban that had just arrived that Friday, nearly a month later than they expected, but freeing up the old suburban just in time for us…coincidence you ask? Or perhaps I had to be knocked over the head (or head gasket) to say "fine! I'll take it! and I'll be HAPPY about it, okay?!?)
We drove away with it that night, promising to send a check in the mail once we got the loan worked out. There are some advantages of being family....
We left for Oregon the next morning. Scott and Charles in the ginormous yellow Penske and Alice and I in the big, black Suburban.

(which, by the way, I love. =)
We're gonna be okay....headed back for average, unexciting, uneventful existence.
stay tuned...the tantilizing conclusion is just around the corner!!
(I don't know who the masked man was....sorry.)
3 comments:
welcome. you are now an official member of the Mormon Assault Vehicle Club!
I love that you got the suburban. I just left a message on Shad's VM the other day (yes we are down to a marriage where to communicate we leave voice mails) and told him that I no longer want a van, I want the biggest SUV out there so that everyone else can see me coming and will MOVE!!!
Glad to see that you took the plunge to a larger vehicle literally. Now you just need a few more kids to fill it up with. Hee Hee
Post a Comment